125 Columbia

Musings of the multi-faced, multi-facultied, and multi-faceted.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Resolution: Be Like Eyal

Happy New Year y'all.

New Year's Eve festivities this year (last year?) took place at The Brunny - UofT's watering hole. Accompanying me was the usual UW contigent, Ken + Cherry, and a couple of family friends from Singapore in the city for the week.

Decent place, decent times. The place was at capacity, student crowd, almost all-white. Girls were tough - a lot of averages who tought they were hot shit. Oyp Semaj, Two-and-a-half-Shots and I chatted up a number of girls... so much so that at one point a girl calls me out - "I saw you with one of my friends earlier." Also liked Kandan (Singapore guy) asking for a pic with a random hot blonde girl. The subway ride back was arguably more fun though, with James desperately looking for pizza.

The most baffling response was when I ran an opener and the girl asks "Do we know you?" Startled, I respond "Oh you clearly don't know the rules of the game. I'm guessing you guys are underage. Goodbye." I recall James and Tristan high-fiving me afterwards. But that statement kind of gives you a sense of the vibe of this place - kinda anti-social, overly guarded towards people outside their social circle, polite but not overtly friendly... very TORONTO.

I think my favourite exchange was when I saw a girl sitting alone near the dance floor. "You look bored." Turns out she's with her boyfriend, but he's away talking to some guy, leaving her all alone and sullen on such a festive occassion. So I bust her on it. "You deserve a man that'll treat you better. That should be your New Year's resolution!" She says "Why don't you tell him?". So I talk to the guy. He accuses me on hitting on his girl, I say no man just giving her some consolation... a potentially tense situation diffused. Then we make small talk, I compliment him on his red top-hat, and tells me "She's a flirt. Keep flirting with her, it makes it better for me later tonight." Funny. Somehow I don't think they'll be together next New Year's Eve.

It's also hard working girls that you're not really attracted on any level - like this place was stacked with averages (the hotties head to Richmond St.), so I don't really do the usual guy stuff like buy drinks, ask to dance, dish out compliments etc. (mostly because in this venue I couldn't find things to compliment, but whatever.) Being an anomaly in that respect and not showing interest right away may wire her attraction circuits and keep her intrigued. But I'm caught in a quandary where I'm only physically attracted to girls at above a certain level, and those girls are usually out of my league.

On the other hand because I know I have nothing to lose (because this was UofT's backyard, not UW's), I'm willing to push the envelope and say the most outrageous things - last night I used everything from "What do you think of Justin Timberlake?" to "So why aren't you spending New Year's Eve with your boyfriend? He's with family? Oh, "family". You know what that means right? That means he's fucking somebody else. So how about an eye for an eye?" That was used on two 5s who thought they were 10s. (The white 5 later busts on me and tells me she saw me talking to one of her friends earlier...) But it's amazing how saying ridiculous shit like that keeps girls hooked and not running away, but being a sincere, genuine good guy (the real me) gets you blown out in 5 minutes. Funny how evolution has wired women's attraction circuits.

I'm fascinated by human social dynamics in general, and I think I derive more satisfaction from simply interacting with randoms and seeing and understanding how they react than the prospect of intercourse, and therein lies for me the thrill of the night scene - because it's about the only place you can do that without creep/harassment suits flying at you in a cold, frigid, anti-social ice queen haven like TORONTO.

Check out the Comedy Network's Keys to the VIP. It's set in various Toronto nightclubs, and it pits two guys against each other with a number of challenges, with the goal of obtaining a number in 3 minutes. The four guys on the couch - so-called "masters of pickup" - provide the commentary. I love this show because at its essence it's all about social dynamics. It's fun watching different guys work their game, and the commentary is insightful and hilarious.

Episode 3, Part 2

Check out this clip. The first guy is boring and has absolutely no game. He's coasting on being 6'4" and his Backstreet Boy looks. The number is probably a fake. Eyal, on the other hand, is solid - a textbook example of how a less attractive guy can score with solid game (granted, the girl was easy if she was sold on a flimsy story like that and gave her number within 2 minutes). Still, he radiates a fun, playful, high-energy vibe and that's money. His style and mannerisms are actually quite similar to mine in the field. If I calibrate accordingly, 2008 could be a big year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home